Forums  ›  My Keiki  ›  Preschool

YMCA kindertime

Quote · 874 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Has anyone ever sent their kids to the YMCA kindertime program?  I'm contemplating sending my ds to preschool but I'm a stay at home mom and preschool can be pricey so I was looking into the Y program.

Quote · 872 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I have a friend who's daughter went there for a while, she loved it! Laughing As she got a little older though, she felt like she was too 'old' to be in that school (her daughter did) and she didn't want to go.

While she was there though, no complaints Smile

Thanks birth2love, going to school is so different from when we went..I didn't want my ds to be behind when he starts kindergarten. Preschool is too expensive so this is probably our last option if he dosent get the pauahi keiki scholar.

Do you know about other programs out there to prepare keiki for Kindergarten/Preschool?

Keiki O Ka `Aina Family Learning Centers is one organization (I work in the Kulia I Ka Nu`u program) There are 4 programs that come to mind with the ages of your keiki...1st is the PAT program or Parents As Teachers, there is a facilitator that comes to your home and let's you know about activities to do with your keiki at home and the developmental milestones they should be hitting.  This is mostly for your 3 month old.

2nd program is the PPP or Parent Participation Preschool, this one they set up a preschool setting in different establishments across the island and there are facilitators there to do circle time, outdoor play etc and you go along with them to the different activity centers (ie science, math, reading, art; most of which are Montessori based materials).  This one your 3 year old and 3 month old could do.

3rd is the HIPPY or Kulia I Ka Nu`u program, HIPPY is a national program that is SAT based (which is not what Hawai`i elem schools are using) and gives you a curriculum and activities to do with your keiki at home to prepare them for Kindergarten.

Kulia is similar in that we give you a curriculum and activities to do throughout the week, the differences is that this program was built here in Hawai`i and integrates subjects, so you learn science with reading, or math and reading etc...it is also Hawaiian culture and Montessori based.  We give `Olelo No`eau and teaching tips each week to build you up as makua to be your child's first and best teacher Laughing

Check into In Peach, Kamehameha schools Tutu and Me programs too as they have similar programs (like PAT and PPP but their called different names Wink)

Good luck! and let me know if you're interested in any of the KOKA programs I can sign you up ASAP! Smile

Quote · 871 days ago · 0 people like this ·

The Kulia I Ka Nu'u and HIPPY program sound interesting. Is that a class that you and your child attend weekly? (if so can my 3 month come) Is there any cost or a waiting list?

The PPP sounds like fun but im kinda nervous to take my 3 month and 3 yr old by myself Idk if I would be able to give my 3 year old the attention he would need.

I did look into the other PPP Tutu and me program and got the paperwork but theres a long waiting list.

Quote · 871 days ago · 1 people like this ·

The Kulia I Ka Nu'u and HIPPY program sound interesting. Is that a class that you and your child attend weekly? (if so can my 3 month come) Is there any cost or a waiting list?

The PPP sounds like fun but im kinda nervous to take my 3 month and 3 yr old by myself Idk if I would be able to give my 3 year old the attention he would need.

I did look into the other PPP Tutu and me program and got the paperwork but theres a long waiting list.

Kaili - my DS has attended Kulia since he was 2.5yrs, he's 4 now. I have nothing but great things to say about that program! I love the way my son thinks, because of the skills the program has taught him.

Quote · 870 days ago · 0 people like this ·

where can i find more info on this kindertime program?

I'm not sure if it's only the Miliani location that offers it and I can't find any info on it so far off the YMCA website but here's contact info for the Mililani Y: http://www.ymcahonolulu.org/locations/mililani

Kaili this is offered at the YMCA right? Foot in mouth lol!

I'm not sure if it's only the Miliani location that offers it and I can't find any info on it so far off the YMCA website but here's contact info for the Mililani Y: http://www.ymcahonolulu.org/locations/mililani

Kaili this is offered at the YMCA right? Foot in mouth lol!

Yeah they don't have any info about the kindertime on their website, but I actually called. Im not sure if its at all the YMCA's but mililani has it. It's $150 for three times a week (mon,wed,fri) or 120 if your a member.  I think its for ages 3-5 and you just gotta pick up an app. When turned my app in there was an wait list for about 6 months or so.

Forums

Aloha,

• Share to Facebook
    Share to Twitter
    Pin it
    LinkedIn
    Google+
    Email
    Print
  • Report a problem
  • Join Moms in Hawaii
  • Login

Right Panel: Reveal

This panel is positioned on the right with the reveal display mode. The panel markup is after the header, content and footer in the source order.

To close, click off the panel, swipe left or right, hit the Esc key, or use the button below:

Close panel