Forums  ›  Motherhood  ›  Baby Names

Long vs. Short Hawaiian Names

Quote · 1467 days ago · 0 people like this ·

So as tradition goes, we know that we should have our children's Hawaiian names bestowed upon them by someone we trust and respect in the Hawaiian community. 

However, this means that sometimes you end up with a Hawaiian name the length of a football field. 

My question is:  Do/did you go with the full name legally on the birth certificate?  Or did you shorten it and just have the Hawaiian name as a given name?

I knew what I wanted to incorporate in my son's name and I had a family friend help me put it together.  We knew we wanted to incorporate my name which was also my husband's great grandfather's name and Kahiau since I really loved that name and all that it stands for.  On top of that, I wanted to incorporate something that reflected a blessing since I saw rainbows and butterflies on a regular basis my whole pregnancy.  In the end, his name ended up being 30 letters long (31 with the okina).  I wanted it to stay in his legal name (which include first, English middle and last too) but my husband insisted it would be too much. 

I consulted some realtor friends and legal friends and sure enough, there is no way around signing your absolute first name on legal documents requiring it so in hopes that he will thank me later after signing his full name uku-billion times when he buys a house, I shortened it from 31 to 6 and just went with Kahiau legally.  :)

You????

Quote · 1466 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I love that name Kahiau...it was a name I thought about with both my keiki! lol

Both of them have their full Hawaiian name on their BC Smile

My DS has only 11 letters but can be shortened to Makana, I didn't go with the bestowing cause there's no one alive anymore that could have Frown but I never thought I could/would have kids so when I was hapai with him, I knew he was a gift from God...thus his name

My DD I went about it differently, I love the lehua blossom and my hanai mom and sis have a part in their name that I love, so I asked if I could name my DD after them and added a little more with the help of a kumu.  Her name is 22 characters...but can be shortened to Lehua Smile

we would have went with what ever was given. it just so happened that they were both given short names...

son - hilina'i

daughter - kamana'olana

This is something I know nothing about.  I always wanted a Hawaiian name but no such luck.  I would love to have given my son a Hawaiian name but didn't feel it was my place---what's the proper etiquette on that?  If you and your spouse are not Hawaiian is it frowned upon for your child to have a Hawaiian name?  I feel so ignorant on this subject...hope I don't sound too dumb.  I love how such care is given to each letter, syllable, meaning of Hawaiian names and phrases.  Anyway, just curious.

Wow, 31 letters specialkmommy!

I too like B2L didnt have anyone around. Well I had my grandfather but his memory is not all there and he lives in alaska Frown.

For some odd reason while pregnant with DD I always love the name Kealohilani. So this is her middle name. We gave her a english first name.

As for me while growing up my whole name was in Hawaiian. First, Middle and Last. Now that im married its only my First and middle. I have a filipino last name now! haha

I understand where your DH is coming from!!! Before marrage I had 31 letters in my name no okina's. Now that im married I have 33 letters. Boy oh boy let me tell you from signing my marrage certificate to signing our legal documents to buy our first home signing your full name isnt fun at all!!! hehe

Thus the short name for DD! Wink

Quote · 1457 days ago · 0 people like this ·

This is something I know nothing about.  I always wanted a Hawaiian name but no such luck.  I would love to have given my son a Hawaiian name but didn't feel it was my place---what's the proper etiquette on that?  If you and your spouse are not Hawaiian is it frowned upon for your child to have a Hawaiian name?  I feel so ignorant on this subject...hope I don't sound too dumb.  I love how such care is given to each letter, syllable, meaning of Hawaiian names and phrases.  Anyway, just curious.

Wow, 31 letters specialkmommy!

Hey pageturner...no I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same way you do!  I've heard of people who aren't Hawaiian using a Hawaiian name.  The only thing I don't like is when it 'sounds' Hawaiian but they spell it 'funky'...that's just wrong lol

I'm taking a online course from Kamehameha schools and we're learning about King Kamehameha, they mention how a name is more important than rank/status, loin cloth etc cause it 'reflects' who that baby/child/person will be...and I totally believe that

Personally I think anyone could name their keiki a Hawaiian name as long as they checked with a person fluent in the culture/language to make sure it makes sense, it's proper use of the words/meanings and it doesn't have more than one meaning; with one that you wouldn't want to have Wink

birth2love, you're taking that DL class?  I almost registered for that!  Aw...

And yes, I don't mind people using a Hawaiian name at all.  But it does bother me when they do it wrong.  Like they spell it all wrong...People do funky spelling for first names so maybe that's putting a personal touch on it, but I think if you are going for a native name, in any culture, you should be true to the culture and not try to cutesify it.  YKWIM?

birth2love, you're taking that DL class?  I almost registered for that!  Aw...

And yes, I don't mind people using a Hawaiian name at all.  But it does bother me when they do it wrong.  Like they spell it all wrong...People do funky spelling for first names so maybe that's putting a personal touch on it, but I think if you are going for a native name, in any culture, you should be true to the culture and not try to cutesify it.  YKWIM?

Yeah...just had to add ONE more thing to do on the 20 million other things on my list Undecided It was free though! lol

Yes, totally agree!  Gotta respect the culture, no matter what culture it is! Wink

That's exactly why I was gonna take it!  Ugh...now I really wish I had!!  Okay, I will pay attention to my next enewsletter...

hehehe, yeah they usually have specials on different classes...it's fun Smile

Definitely gonna try to take some classes!!

Quote · 1375 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Our oldest is going to hate us when she has to sign papers for a house, but we included her entire middle name (over 40 letters) on her birth certificate.

After that, we just decided to name our kids ourselves so they wouldn't have super long names like that.

ETA: I do not think there's anything wrong with non-Hawaiians having Hawaiian names.  After all many names comes from origins we do not share, but we still have them as names. I do wish that those using these Hawaiian names would actually know what they mean, have a reason other than "it sounds pretty" to use it, know how to say they name, and do use the correct spelling of the name as well.  :)

we included DD's on her birth certificate. lucked out where it's only 20 letters.. still long, but wanted to include since it was given to her at our request. ;) I do feel bad when it comes to filling out info for standardized tests! Tongue out lol

My girls have their Hawaiian middle names on the birth certificate.  Their Hawaiian names aren't that long but my cousins have forever long names, lol.

I'm from the mainland and still have trouble saying Hawaiian words (actually, hubby laughs when I try to say things. LOL) so I told him that they have to have names that are easy enough for me to pronounce.

Princess A, she has 2 English middle names and 1 Hawaiian name- A. May Marie Kananimauloa

Princess M, 1 English middle name and 1 Hawaiian name- M. Rose Ke'alohilani

Quote · 1373 days ago · 0 people like this ·

My Hawaiian name is very long, and my mama put that and three middle names all on my birth certificate.  Then social security came along and shortened my first name to the first 9 letters, so my birth certificate lists my whole LONG name and my Driver's license and other legal documents list my Social Security name on it.  I just turned 30 and have not had any problems so Far... I included my son's whole name on his BC too, but his first name is English, feel bad for him though cause he has a hyphenated last name and that's SUPER LONG.

Forums

Aloha,

• Share to Facebook
    Share to Twitter
    Pin it
    LinkedIn
    Google+
    Email
    Print
  • Report a problem
  • Join Moms in Hawaii
  • Login

Right Panel: Reveal

This panel is positioned on the right with the reveal display mode. The panel markup is after the header, content and footer in the source order.

To close, click off the panel, swipe left or right, hit the Esc key, or use the button below:

Close panel